Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Girls' closet renovation


The girls bedroom closet - actually, their whole bedroom - is one of the areas in the house that took me a lot of separate renovations before I was satisfied with it. I spent a lot of time standing and staring at it, trying to figure out a way to reconfigure it to make it more useable for us. My hope was to make it so that we could fit most or all of their clothes into it and so get rid of at least one dresser in their room.

Our girls share a room - 2 beds, 2 dressers, and a bookshelf was too much furniture in there!

My first reworking of the space made it so that I could get one of the dressers into the closet. This worked ok, but they just didn't have enough useable hanging space this way.


More staring... more measuring... more internet searches for inspiration...

Then one day when Brad left town, I started tearing the closet apart. I have this habit of starting projects when he leaves town. His plane hadn't even landed yet and I had this closet emptied, the closet system (that the previous owners had installed) removed and the walls painted! 


I decided to use the "wood" from the closet system as much as possible in the new design. I cut and rearranged the pieces to fit and so I was able to do this closet renovation for FREE! Woot!

Here it is going back in.


Now they have space for all of their hanging clothes. Dresses on top, shirts and skirts on the bottom. In the bins, they have space for pajamas, socks, undies, tights, leotards, etc. Their pants, shorts, and leggings fit in a small 2 drawer bedside table next to the closet.


Now they have space for all of their clothes and we got BOTH dressers out of the room! Success! 


No comments:

Post a Comment